09 Oct HIV/AIDS, TB & Malaria & Neglected Tropical Diseases APPGs welcome UK Government support for Global Fund
The UK’s pledge of up to £1bn to support the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria represents a significant commitment by the UK government to lead the global fight against three of the world’s deadliest diseases. We congratulate the government on its ambitious pledge and applaud its determination to rally international support behind one of the most successful global health organisations at a critical moment.
In little more than a decade, the Global Fund has helped to turn the tide against HIV, TB and Malaria. Through the Fund, 5.3 million people have had access to ARVs who otherwise may have never received medication and 11 million people have been treated for TB, nearly half of whom, without treatment, may have lost their lives to the disease. Largely thanks to the Fund and its partners, 340 million bed nets have been distributed to protect men, women and children against malaria, leading to a historic drop in malaria deaths. In total, the Global Fund has helped save 8.7 million lives.
The efforts of the Fund and its partners have helped reverse the spread of HIV, TB and malaria and laid the foundation for even greater progress. Advances in science and implementation have taken us to a critical moment in the fight against these diseases. If we intensify our efforts now, scale up our investments and ensure the continued development and roll-out of new tools and treatments we can be the generation that beats HIV, TB and malaria. The alternative would mean squandering the progress that has been made and letting these diseases bounce back.
By committing up to £1bn to support the Global Fund, the UK government has made its decision clear. The pledge will see 750,000 people receive potentially life-saving anti-retroviral treatment for HIV, 32 million insecticide-treated bed nets will protect millions against malaria as they sleep, and 1 million people will receive treatment to help them fight off TB.
The government’s pledge has, however, laid down a challenge to other donor countries. It has promised to contribute up to 10% of the total replenishment; other donors must now step up to deliver the remaining 90%. We must ensure that the Global Fund has the resources it needs to win this fight.
We congratulate the Coalition Government for ensuring that Britain continues to play a leading role on global health. Most of all, though, we applaud it for sending a signal to the world that the UK is ready to seize this opportunity and do its part to ensure that these three terrible diseases are finally, and comprehensively, beaten.